Sexual Health

By Dr. Pauline Cundill. Updated 13th Oct 2014

There is a lack of information regarding the sexual health of trans people.

It is important to talk to your Doctor about your sexual health and have a regular check up if you are having sex. The Doctor will need to ask you some personal questions about your sexual practices in order to request the correct samples for STI (sexually transmissible infection) testing.

STI swabs and blood tests are available at Northside. PEP (Post exposure prophylaxis) is available from Northside for people who may have recently been exposed to HIV. (link to PEP section in sexual health) Talk to your GP about how often you should attend for a STI check.

Transmen who have receptive vaginal sex with a male partner may require additional contraception as ovulation can occur whilst on testosterone therapy.

Condoms are recommended for all penetrative vaginal or anal sex with casual partners to prevent STIs.

Book Appointment