How to Change Your Name & Gender on Documents

In Victoria, it is possible to change your name from the age of 18 with Births, Deaths and Marriages. For patients aged under 18, parental approval is required.

Change of Name

You can change your gender on your Vic Roads Driving License, Medicare and Passport with a letter from your GP. Medicare still uses a binary system for recording gender, but on your Passport, you can specify ‘M’, ‘F’ or ‘X’ (indeterminate / unspecified / intersex).

Sex Gender Applicants

In order to change your gender on your Victorian Birth Certificate, there is a requirement to have sex affirmation surgery (removal of reproductive organs). Many trans people choose not to have surgical treatments. For those who have undergone sex affirmation surgery, documentation is required from two treating doctors (often the surgeon and the GP).